Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bad Girls of the Bible...


After a while of browsing at Barnes and Noble today (during my 2nd snow day in a row!!)- I came across this book 

Of course I was immediatley intrigued by the title. It jogged my memory, I had heard it before and was interested to see what it was all about. This is the poem by the author that summarizes the book: 


Eve had a hunger that cost her a garden;

Potiphar's wife had an appetite too;

Lot lost his mate when her past swirled around her;

Delilah went bad when she snipped a new 'do.


Sapphira fell flat when it came down to money;

Jezebel ordered her husband around;

Michal missed the message in King David's worship;

To the bone, in a moment, their badness was found.


Yet...


A woman of Samaria found a thirst quencher;

A sinner, a woman, anointed Christ's feet; 

Rahab, the harlot, became a beliver;

Her sin, like the walls, crumbled down defeat. 


Bad for a season, but no, not forever, 

Not these three role models, saved from despair. 

Made new by God, their changed lives teach the lesson:

If we but ask him, grace waits for us there. 


-Liz Curtis Higgs 


Wow- I mean really, is there not one thing that I cannot claim to have struggled with that these "bad" women did!!


One final quote from the author: 

"When she was perfect, beautiful, and innocent, I found no toehold where I could connect with Eve. When she was tempted by her flesh, humbled by her sin, and redeemed by her God, I could sing out, "Oh, sister Eve! Can we talk?" 


So here's the point, I am spending some time reflected on my own Bad Girl self and seeing how I can learn from these women in the Bible. 


All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness. 

II Timothy 3:16. 


...Even the Bad Girls. 

2 comments:

  1. I have seen Liz in person and she is fabulous. I also have some of her other books, if you enjoy this one. I have not read Bad Girls but it sounds intriguing. Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful for God's grace. Where would be without it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Followers